This year the winner of the Haulier of the Year was Alan R Jones & Sons. We caught up with them to find out what they thought of their win and what their plans are for the future.
1. Why did you enter the Wales Transport Awards?
To hopefully get national recognition for the hard work the team put in.
2. What does winning a Wales Transport Award mean to your business?
It is a way for the team to see a tangible appreciation of the hard work and loyalty they all put in that is recognised by the industry.
3. How do you strive to make a difference in the Transport Industry in Wales?
It is more pertinent in these difficult times to be able to assure our customers and our team that we can offer security and this hopefully gives some comfort to people , we want to remain a key player in our industry and offer secure employment.
4. What are your goals for the next 12 months?
To ensure the safety and security of employment for the whole team and emerge from this pandemic in a strong position.
5. What is the biggest lesson you have learned in the past year as a company?
The most important lesson in these strange times for me has been to strengthen the connection between the owners and staff members in the business to support them and ensure we grow together.
6. What one piece of advice would you give to any aspiring business owner?
Care about your team, care about the kind of pressures everyone faces in work and at home, be flexible with people be disciplined about the decision making process and as a business owner remember that while it is vital to look after the whole team you should always remember to look after yourself. Being an owner can be a lonely existence so looking after your own wellbeing and mental health is equally important.
7. What did you think of the virtual awards ceremony?
Great although it was sad that we could not celebrate in a fashion deserved by the award. The virtual process was very well organised.